Sunday, December 27, 2009

New Sleeve


Back in mid November, Richard tried using a new kind of sleeve with Kane. Well, new to us anyway. It has hard patches on both sides of the (desired) bite area.

The idea being that it will teach the dog to bite in the preferred spot. Kane has a tendency to bite more towards the elbow if he has a choice. We try to not give him that choice, but....kinda hard when your're doing escape bites and the elbow is just "out there" going "Yoo-hoo! Bite me!" And Kane does. The sleeve worked ok, I think.
We also continued on the heeling around in a left hand box with the twist and turn for reward. I'm feeling more confident about taking my time, and only mark/reward the desired behavior. I can also feel myself being more calm, instead of anxious or afraid to do the wrong thing. I'm sure that helps Kane as well. Thanks to my friend An for the fab photography assistance!

2 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

Those pictures are greaaat!! Kane is so photogenic. It's great to enjoy what you're doing and not put pressure on yourself - I could learn from that lesson :O)
Thanks for the update on Kane.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Great shots! I love reading about Kane's training and see his pictures.
Happy New Year to you all!

YD & The girls